Establishment Name: A Walking Tour of Monaghan Town
Phone: 087 252 5457
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Website: www.monaghantourism.com
Address: Monaghan Town
Town: Monaghan
Description:
The earliest map of Monaghan, dates from 1590 and shows only ‘the abbie of Mounachin’ and  the ‘McMahons House in the Loughe of Mounachin’. The Franciscan Abbey, erected c.1462, was in the centre of what is the present town, while McMahon’s crannóg was on the Convent Lake.
From 1513 to 1589 it was the headquarters of chiefs of the McMahons, whose power was eventually broken by the English in the late 16th/early 17th century.
For the next two centuries Monaghan was basically a Presbyterian town and a colonial centre of commerce and local government with the Blayneys and Rossmores as the main ruling classes during all that period. Many of Monaghan’s fi
nest buildings date from the 18th and 19th centuries and some of these feature in the Monaghan

Meeting Point
The Diamond/Westenra Arms Hotel, Monaghan Town at 11am.

Duration & Dates
Approx. 1 1/2 hours. Tours takes place every Saturday from Easter Saturday to the end of September.

Free of Charge